Saturday, May 14, 2011

It's time!

Neil Gaiman offered eight writing tips. I stopped reading after the third.

1
Write.
2
Put one word after another. Find the right word, put it down.
3
Finish what you're writing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it.

I decided that I would first accomplish and internalize these three simple steps before moving on to the other five.

This blog will be a record of my attempt to finish something--anything, and get it out somewhere. I have seven ideas floating around in my head. These writing projects could be great. I've dabbled in them. I've started them. I've started many stories. I've even finished a few.

Several years ago, I was a semifinalist in the Writer's of the Future Contest and last year I was an honorable mention. I won a university poetry contest. I honestly and arrogantly believe that I have what it takes to succeed.

So its time to stop starting and start finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment